A Writers Confession


Writers are nothing but the transformation of thoughts into words on paper. These thoughts reflect the individualism and life of a writer. Thoughts become public once they are inked on paper. They are no longer private and leaves the writer vulnerable. But the writer continues to take this risk and continues to write the story. And hence when you read a story, be it fiction or non-fiction, it always leaves a hint of the writers personal life. It is this unknown dangling silver thread that connects with the reader and makes a good story. Just the way family traits are passed down a generation, a story carries the traits of the writer. It is hierarchical to the writer and the stories written. The more stories written by the writer, more secrets of their life are revealed. It all comes in layers through the stories. And as we read one by one we unravel their secrets, like their favorite place or favorite food or their childhood fantasies, everything comes in layers finally opening up to the writer who might or mightn’t have tried hard to conceal those desires.

A writer knows that they have done a good job if the readers can find the emotions inscribed in between the lines. These emotions can make us laugh or cry. It is this rush of emotions that connect us stronger to the story and writer. Sometimes these stories take us to places which the writer wants us to experience. And it does, in our head. Our head is the barricaded kingdom where anything is possible. The writer forces these thoughts into our head and our mind conjures up a scene and our heart plays with the emotion. It is these three elements: our thoughts, our mind and our heart, which makes the writers idea, come in motion.

There is one writer, whose secrets strewn in her stories, I believe I have uncovered. It’s Cecelia Ahern. All the books which I have read so far are written by her. The common things which I have noticed in them (and which I believe are common to Cecelia too) are that most of her stories are centered on Dublin and Ireland owing to her roots. All her protagonists are revived in her stories through the support of their friends and family. So either Cecelia must have also experienced the same or she must consider them as an integral part of her life. She mentions places that exist. Sometimes the same place occurs in two books. For instance, River Liffey is mentioned in “The Gift” as well as “One Hundred Names”. Such occurrences make me believe that both the stories are linked and I’ll be expecting a crossover of characters. Once again this must mean (or at least I think so) that River Liffey is also important in her life. Then there is the way she describes places and objects. It’s obvious from the interviews and talk shows she has given that she is observant, but from the way she describes one can also say that she is sincere. She looks from all perspectives, even if they are impossible she makes them possible giving her stories the touch of a fairy tale. I could almost imagine her taking notes carefully as I read through her description of places and buildings. Also she does extensive research on public matters before she decides to put it in a book. I imagine her absorbing in each conversation and let the conversation weave its own story. I consider her a master in the art of words. She is one writer I sincerely look up to.

There is another writer, Jenny Valentine, I came across her during my schooldays and I found her writing style really peculiar and not appropriate. The first book which I read written by her is Finding Violet Park. As soon as I’d finished reading the first few chapters I found something odd about her writing style. Then I realized that her story never contained any conversations. It was written completely in the Past Perfect tense. I found it really odd. I mean a whole book containing at least 200 or more pages was written without any conversations. I thought she’d retreated to this style only in Finding Violet Park. But after I read excerpts of her other books she had maintained the same style. I find this really intriguing and odd because personally I prefer the past perfect tense to limit with short stories, not for novels.

I write this because I feel the urge to. I’ve held these thoughts within me for quite a long time. My opinion about Jenny Valentine, I had it ever since the 9th grade. I couldn’t keep them inside anymore.

2 comments :

  1. I really never hear of Jenny Valentine, it sounds intriguing though. But I think I have to agree with you, I prefer the past perfect tense to limit with short stories too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writers based on Ireland write awesome pieces... I once read a book about a school and stories inside and it was centered in Ireland as well. I should look for Cecelia Ahern! Interest me very well!

    ReplyDelete

"Every Scrap in an entry,
Will become a part of my memory! :)"

-My Scrapbook